I have spoken with the landowner and decided to hold the September launch under some rather strict safety rules, which we can relax (or tighten up) as we gain experience with CoViD-era rocket launches:
- Masks or face covering? of some sort will be worn at all times near the club trailer, RSO tables, LCO table, and the pads.? You can take them off at your vehicle or out in the field recovering rockets.? I will have a few extra with me, but when they are gone, if you show up bare-faced you will be sent home.
- Park a little farther away from other vehicles than you? usually do, the extra walking is good for you!
- Bring your own pen or pencil for signing in.
- Contact-tracing information will be collected at the field.?? If you are fairly certain that you will be attending, send me your name, home town, and telephone number by return email to save time.
- If you feel sick, stay home!
The next items are strong suggestions:
- There will be no soap and running water supplied at the field, so bring your own hand sanitizer or disinfectant.? Jim Livingston came up with a great idea that I will be adopting.?? Get a package of baby-wipes that has been opened, or buy a new one and leave it open overnight.? Then pour in isopropyl alcohol until the wipes are soaked, and close it back up.? When I was working with the original SARS-1 in the lab, we could buy any space-age disinfectant we wanted, but we all used isopropyl alcohol because it was most effective on coronaviruses.
- At least for September, there will be no porta-potty.
- Please don?t bring visitors or children too young to be expected to comply with the safety rules.
- We are going to try a ?flight-cardless? method for listing rocket flights.?? The RSO or LCO will have a clipboard on which he or she will record flyer name, rocket name, motor information, and, if it?s a high-power flight, the cert level of the flyer.?? Please don?t touch that clipboard unless you are actually the LCO or RSO.
?We can improvise at the field and learn from our experience for the October and November launches.
?Alan Whitmore, Prefect, Tripoli East NC